Wednesday 26 November 2014

Courgettes (Zucchini) In Cream

This is one of my favourite dishes but I don't cook it often and you'll see why after you've made it and eaten the entire dish yourself!  It is so simple and yet so delicious and unfortunately high in calories.  I learned how to make this one in France where emmental cheese is used in it but you can use cheddar if you prefer. In recent times I have been leaving out the garlic as I think it overpowers the flavours a bit - a small clove is enough if you do decide to use some though.  The ingredients below make a small dish and are approximate as I don't measure the cheese or the cream I just know by now how much to use.

3 Courgettes
125ml Fresh Cream
Approx. 1 Large Cup Grated Emmental or Cheddar
Salt
Pepper
1 Small Clove Garlic

Wash the courgettes and slice them.  Put them into an ovenproof dish, add some salt, a little pepper and the crushed garlic clove (if required) and pour the cream over the lot.  Give it a stir to ensure that the courgette slices all have a coating of cream.  Flatten them down into the dish a little and cover with a layer of cheese.  

Cook in the oven on 190 deg. C/gas mark 5/375 deg. F until the cream has evaporated and the top has formed a golden crust.

I serve this with a large baked potato.  It freezes well too (if there's any left)...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comment here