Saturday 20 May 2017

Découpaged Tray

Découpage never fails to please and this time the subject matter was an inexpensive wooden tray which I had been looking out for for some time.  I hit pay dirt in a city centre Euro store for the bargain sum of €6,99 which just made  this project all the sweeter.

I used napkins for this découpage job - 4 to be exact.  First, painted the tray with a couple of coats of cream coloured chalk paint.  I then stuck on the napkins using some découpage glue and matching up the design where necessary.  Care is needed when matching the design up, it's a bit like wall papering on a smaller scale.  I also stuck some cut out flowers from the napkin to the outside edges of the tray to complete the look. Once dry, I added a coat of découpage glue and when the glue was dry, I sanded it lightly with a fine sandpaper to smooth out any wrinkles before applying a second coat of glue. When the this coat was dry, I finished up with two coats of gloss varnish to protect the surface, as this tray will be used regularly. You may prefer to use a matt finish but for this particular project I thought the gloss would look better.

As this tray is so pretty, I've decided to hang it in my kitchen rather than hiding it in a cabinet - it will also be more accessible for regular use and doubles up as wall decor! See photos below.  Click on photos to make bigger.

Découpaged Tray 1

Découpaged Tray 2

Tray Hanging on Wall
Tray (Before)
I hope you enjoyed reading about my little découpage project, if you would like to ask any questions you can do so by emailing me at funkyjunkinfo@gmail.com or through the contact form on this page and I will be happy to answer you.  You can also let me know what you think by leaving a comment below.
By for now






No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comment here