Thursday 16 April 2015

Painted Bird Plaquette



I have definitely found my niche and my day job is getting in the way..........what to do?  A lotto win would remedy the situation but until then I will have to battle on with my blogging and creative work on a part-time basis i.e. nights and weekends!!

That said, I have a few new Plaquettes on the go and this here is the first of the batch.  It's great thinking up new ideas and designs, experimenting with colour and different textures and finishes and I am very happy with the results as my pictures are looking good.

This lovely plaquette is base coated with a dark grey chalk paint (my own mix) - I used 3 coats to get a more solid colour.  I then taped up a bouquet stencil with decorators tape just leaving out the sections I wanted to use on the piece and I taped it lightly to the dry painted wood.  I couldn't find a bird stencil that I liked anywhere so I made one. I found a bird outline on the internet, printed it out, traced it onto card and used a craft knife to cut it out.  Really handy as I can keep it for other jobs!

Be careful when painting over the stencils not to use too much paint.  I prefer to use a stencil brush but you can use a sponge if you prefer.  It's best if the brush is almost dry so blot it on some paper before applying it. Remember, you can always add more paint but you can't take it away.  I used a rhinestone for the bird's eye which I glued on.  I sealed it up with about 6 coats of sealant and then waxed it for the final coat.  I used some shiny silver ribbon for hanging it, which I found in my supply and which I thinks adds to the piece.

These make great presents for any occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comment here