Sunday 26 April 2015

Crackle-Glaze Vintage Style Bouquet Plaquette

I was dying to try out crackle-glaze on my Plaquettes to see how it would work out and how it would tie in with the overall look.  In the past, I had only used commercial crackle glaze and was curious to see what effect I would get from a DIY version.  Almost 20 years ago, my first crackle -glaze project was my bathroom floor for which I used shop bought product - it was a huge success and the topic of many a conversation for years later as it added an unusual and quirky look to the bathroom - what pity I didn't keep any photos of it as it has since been tiled over.

Please click in to see a bigger sized picture
 


Anyway, back to the subject in hand, I decided to try out the DIY crackle-glaze on the plaquettes using some PVA and two different coloured paints - above is the result which I am  thrilled with for a first attempt.  This is a great way to achieve the crackle-glaze look without it costing a penny!  I always have PVA and paint in stock anyway but even if you do have to buy some, it is very cheap.

You just paint on your base coat - that's the coat you want to see coming through and in the above pics I used a very pale pink (it looks white), once dry, you paint on your thick or thin coat of PVA depending on what size cracks you want.  Thick = bigger, thin = smaller.  Leave it for a minute or two and then paint on your top layer of paint in the opposite direction to that of the PVA using one stroke.  Do not go over the same spot twice as this will prevent the crackle from appearing.  You will see the cracks appear as it dries.  Simple! This can be used on any surface for different craft projects.

I finished off by using a stencil to add the bouquet in the pale pink colour that was used for the basecoat and then added my usual frame and ribbon etc. These plaquettes make pretty presents for all occasions.

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you like my post.  Please leave any comments or questions below and I will be happy to reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comment here