Wednesday 27 May 2015

Light Shade Upgrade

Once I have a paintbrush in my hand and my mind is in 'creative' mode there's no telling what will get a new coat.  This time though, it was the bathroom light shade.  I was giving the bathroom a freshen up by adding some new orange plaquettes that I made (more on this later) and by adding some new orange accessories, but when it came to changing the old black shade I just couldn't part with it, but as it didn't match the new look, and I couldn't find anything as nice, it just had to be painted!  It's a black metal shade with a cut-out design and I really love its ethnic look.

Revamped Shade

Before
The bathroom has a beige base i.e. it's tiled floor to ceiling which means anytime I want to add a new colour I just change the accessories.  Simple.  I went from black to orange - towels, pictures, candles, ornaments, floors - oh I forgot to mention the black floor tiles got painted too (but that's for another post). Everything that was black got changed to orange (except the tiles, they got changed to beige).

The light shade got painted with some chalk paint that I mixed up myself and I had planned on distressing it slightly to let some of the black show through but changed my mind at the last minute and instead I dry-brushed it here and there with some olive green chalk paint and ended up with a really great look that I'm super happy with.  I added a coat of polyeurethane varnish to seal it and that's it, a lovely new look shade as you can see in the pics above.

I hope you enjoyed reading about my light shade upgrade, I'll be posting more on my bathroom makeover soon so don't forget to drop by.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comment here