Saturday 1 March 2014

Chalk Chalk Paint??

While awaiting delivery of my upholstery supplies to finish my bar stool, I got to thinking again about painting the inside of my display cabinet. What colour should I paint it?  Not sure - but I didn't want to paint it the same as the outside of the cabinet as I will, at some point in the future, be changing the colour of that.  So, I started to experiment with a few colours and during this time of great mess in my kitchen, got the idea to try making chalk paint from plain old blackboard chalk and guess what?  It worked!


First, I cut the chalk stick up and crushed it using a pestle and mortar, then added a small amount of water.  Result - as above.  A bit gritty but a light rub with fine sandpaper would sort that and on some projects would probably even enhance the finish.  I tried it out on a wood cutting above. This would not be a good idea for large projects for obvious reasons but if you just needed it for a small project like a tray or a jewellery box, it would work perfectly  Once dried, it should be sealed with finishing wax.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comment here